Investment in Education
We have consistently invested in the development of the youth of the country. A significant part of this investment has been in education.
Our involvement over the years have included:
- Early Childhood Nutritional Support Programme: We provide approximately 24,000 pre-schoolers with breakfast/lunch daily to help them make the most of their learning opportunities.
- The JPS Science & Technology Expo: A major educational project,. this expo is open to students from the primary through to tertiary level and gives students an opportunity to display their scientific innovations and inventions. It is the only one of its kind in Jamaica.
- Top CXC Awards: We present to all the top science students based on the annual results of the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) scholastic exams. As a science based organization, we consistently support excellence in the sciences.
- The JPS Denham Town Homework Centre: JPS enjoys a very special relationship with members of the Western Kingston community. The facility which boasts 23 computers, provides a quiet place for students from the school and surrounding communities to complete assignments, study and learn how to use the computer.
- The JPS Old Harbour Bay Homework Centre, is located in the Old Harbour Bay community, where one of our power plants operates. We enjoy a special relationship with this community and have created a homework centre for the students of that locale where they can access resources for assignments and enjoy their studies in an environment conducive to learning. The homework centre is equipped with 20 computers, and is also open to members of the wider public.
- The JPS Farm Heights/Rose Heights Centre: Established in partnership with the Social Development Commission (SDC) has a student population of 70 and serves the Farm and Rose Heights communities in St. James . The centre provides internet access and other services to community members for a small fee.
- Renovation of the Utech Electrical Engineering Laboratories: We completely refurbished the Power System, Analysis Lab, and Virtual Lab to world class standards. This facility greatly enhances the learning experience of students pursuing the Bachelor Degree and Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
- Computer donations: We frequently present computers to several early childhood institutions and primary schools.
- Contributions of equipment: We also provide play equipment, office furniture and fittings to several early childhood entities.
- Scholarships: An important part of national development is providing students with access to quality education. As such, we award a number of scholarships each year which allow Jamaican students to pursue studies at the following universities:
- University of Technology, Faculty of Engineering & Computing – Papine, Jamaica
- University of the West Indies – Mona, Jamaica
- Northern Caribbean University – Mandeville, Jamaica
FOR MORE INFORMATION & THE LATEST ON THE JPS FOUNDATION, DO VISIT THE WEBSITE AT: www.myjpsfoundation.org