JPS produces electricity using the following technologies: steam (oil-fired), gas turbines, combined cycle, diesel, hydropower and wind.
- BOGUE POWER STATION Bogue Industrial Estate, Montego Bay
- RIO BUENO A HYDRO PLANT Rio Bueno District
- RIO BUENO B HYDRO PLANT Rio Bueno District
- ROARING RIVER HYDRO PLANT Ocho Rios
- LOWER WHITE RIVER Exchange District
- UPPER WHITE RIVER Lodge District
- CONSTANT SPRING HYDRO PLANT Constant Spring
- RAM’S HORN HYDRO POWER PLANT Hermitage
- ROCKFORT POWER STATION 102 Windward Road
- HUNTS BAY POWER STATION 78 Marcus Garvey Drive
- OLD HARBOUR POWER STATION Old Harbour Bay
- MAGGOTTY HYDRO POWER PLANT Maggotty District
- MUNRO WIND FARM Munro/Hermitage Community
We have four main power stations:
- ST. ANDREW — Rockfort
- KINGSTON — Hunts Bay
- ST. CATHERINE — Old Harbour Bay
- ST. JAMES — Bogue
We have eight hydro-electric plants:
- ST. ELIZABETH — Maggoty
- ST. ANN — Upper White River
- ST. ANN — Lower White River
- ST. ANN — Roaring River
- TRELAWNY — Rio Beuno A
- TRELAWNY — Rio Bueno B
- ST. ANDREW — Rams Horn
- ST. ANDREW — Constant Spring
We have one wind farm:
- ST. ELIZABETH — Munro Wind Farm
Power Generation Technologies
How We Deliver Power to You!
JPS serves customers through a network that involves our power generating plants, transmission and distribution system and our customer service offices
is the conversion of wind energy into a useful form, such as electricity, using wind turbines.
Hydropower, hydraulic power or water power is power that is derived from the force or energy of moving water.
is a power plant that burns fossil fuels such as coal, natural gas or petroleum (oil) to produce electricity.
The electricity from the plants flows through metal conduction to a switchyard, which controls the flow of the electricity into the voltage transmission lines.
Transmission lines efficiently carry high-voltage electricity over long distance to substations.
An electrical substation is a subsidiary station of an electricity generation, transmission and distribution system where voltage is transformed from high to low or the reverse using transformers.
Electricity distribution is the final stage in the delivery (before retail) of electricity to end users. A distribution system’s network carries electricity from the transmission system and delivers it to consumers.
The pole-mounted transformer reduces the voltage to a level that can be used in homes and businesses.
The myHome JPS custmomer usually a family dwelling consuming the lowest voltage of electricity.
The business JPS custmomer usually a small to large myBusiness entity consuming a slightly higher voltage than a residence.
JPS produces electricity using steam (oil-fired), combustion gas turbines, combined cycle, diesel, hydroelectric, and wind. We have four main power plants: Rockfort and Hunts Bay in Kingston, Old Harbour Bay in St. Catherine and Bogue in St. James.
We currently have access to approximately 820 megawatts (MW) of total installed generation capacity. This includes close to 197 MW from the following Independent Power Producers (IPPs):
- Jamaica Energy Partners (JEP)
- Jamaica Private Power Company (JPPC)
- Wigton Wind Farm